Mt Kilimanjaro Hike isn’t that tough a trek if you know exactly which route to choose! At a height of 5895 meters above the surrounding landscape, Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest freestanding mountain in the world. Mount Kilimanjaro Hike is one of the famed Seven Summits which you must add in your hiking bucket list.
Every Mountain Top Is Within Reach If You Just Keep Climbing
Keeping your convenience in mind we’ve put together the list of the Kilimanjaro routes which you can choose on your hike.
- The Marangu Route: The most straight forward Kilimanjaro Hiking Routes is the Marangu Route that ascends and descends along the same path. It can be completed in just five days, but to acclimatize well six days is recommended. Mountain hut accommodation along the train is its specialty. There are no difficult or steep sections to cross, making the route an easy and short hike.
- The Rongai Route: On your Kilimanjaro Hiking Tour you choose the Rongai Route that approaches Kilimanjaro from the north and takes a minimum of six-seven days to complete. The scenic beauty of the route is its main attraction.
- The Shira Route: Choose from our best Kilimanjaro Hiking Package on the Shira route that starts in the northwest at the Shira Route and is considered one of the most difficult treks due to its steepness and is chosen by experienced hikers mostly.
- The Lemosho Route: Hiking Up Mount Kilimanjaro through the Lemosho Route that starts to the west of Kilimanjaro, and passes through a wide variety of scenery, with two days walking and camping in the forest, is a great experience. Up Barranco Wall, there is a scramble where you need to use your hands but this will be taken at a gentle pace and requires no skill or experience.
- The Northern Circuit: Your Mount Kilimanjaro Hike through the northern circuit is the longest one that takes at least nine days and is offered by very tour operators including Serac Adventures. This route takes the Lemosho Trail till Lava Towers and then heads northwest to Moir Hut. on the northeast side of the mountain you link up with the Rongai route, at the Third Cave campsite, summiting with them to the School Hut.
- The Machame Route: You can choose the Whiskey Route on your Mount Kilimanjaro Hike which is a bit trickier. There are some steeper and more challenging sections on the Machame Route but that doesn’t mean it has a low success rate. It’s the success rate is higher than the Marangu route (Coca Cola route). It stakes six-seven days and passes through rich forests to open moors, mountainous desert landscapes, and the barren Shira Plateau.
- The Umbwe Route: The toughest Mount Kilimanjaro Hike is through the Umbwe Route as it is the steepest, the most remote, and the toughest among all other routes. The altitude sickness that any climber faces here is worse than any other route. Its recommended for experienced hikers only.
Frequently Asked Questions On Mt. Kilimanjaro Hike
- Which Kilimanjaro Route Is Best?
Serac Adventures has helped thousands of hikers achieve high Kilimanjaro Success Rate on their adventure Kilimanjaro hike. All routes provide great scenic views and with assistance from our trained guides acclimatization is not an issue. We still recommend the Machame Route, Lemosho route, Rongai route, and the Northern Circuit as some of the best routes to Kilimanjaro.
- When Is The Best Time To Hike?
The dry summer season between May and October, or December and March is the Best Time To Hike Kilimanjaro. The rest period has short or long seasons of rain when the hike becomes risky.
- What Training is required For A Kilimanjaro Hike?
To stay fit while Preparing To Hike Kilimanjaro we recommend you go for “weekend walking” trips of at least 5-7 hours on your feet for two days back to back to get used to strenuous walks during the hike. Apart from this aerobic and stretching exercises along with strength training is highly recommended. With is keeping a well-balanced diet also helps.
- What Clothing And Equipment Do You Need for the hike?
- Carry a good waterproof and breathable hiking shoes along with plenty of thick socks.
- Carry a pack and hydration sack to accompany electronic and personal items.
- Sunscreen and sunglasses are one most people forget.
- A warm change of clothes for the nights is a great idea.
- As with any trek, bring basic toiletries like toothbrush and toothpaste, but not so much that you struggle to carry the weight you’ve packed.
- A head torch for the evenings and summit night.
- A small medical kit with essentials as per your need.
- Thermals for the cold nights (and some days) hiking.
- Quick-dry hiking clothes and trousers.
- Zip-off trousers are great for the first and last days of the treks.
- Fleece/down jackets are needed for when the temperature drops.
- Beanie and gloves.
Why Mount Kilimanjaro Hike With Serac Adventures?
Turn your hiking Mt. Kilimanjaro dream into lasting memories with Serac Adventures. Our experienced guides provide the best Mt Kilimanjaro Facts which you would have never come across. Our staff is friendly and highly skilled. We strive to provide round the clock services and take care of our customers and treat them like our families.
In these tough times of COVID-19, expect utmost care and safety regarding sanitizing, disinfecting, and keeping check of your health throughout the trip during the hike. Our staff are well equipped with proper masks, gloves, and undergo regular health checks. Our ground staff will be equipped with PPE kits(Personal Protective Equipment) and would great you at a distance. We are carrying out regular sanitation of rooms between guest arrivals and taking utmost care in food preparation on the mountain as well.
Leave a comment
We’re expert at turning African safari dreams into long lasting memories. Every member of our expert staff has climbed each route we offer and have traveled the surrounding parks to provide you with the ins and outs of planning your Mt Kilimanjaro and Safari expedition. We will speak with you to address any questions or concerns you may have so your only care will be enjoying the beauties of Africa. AFRICA IS OUR HOME, KARIBU NYUMBANI !